Tuesday, July 7, 2009


Yeah! I’m in Mexico! It’s been a week now...My husband and soul mate, Prathyooshan, flew in for a six-week project in Mexico City and deciding that it would extremely dangerous for him to start contemplating on the merits of his new-found bachelorhood, I quickly signed for a two-month non-pay break from work and made the journey half-way across the world to join him here! 

I don’t know why, but from a quick dipstick I did just for curiosity sake, Mexico seemed to figure right down below, somewhere in the range of 100-150, in the list of desired tourist destinations of Indians! I sure got a lot of raised eyebrows and incredulous “but why”s when I made news of my trip public! And because everything I heard and read about Mexico City had to do with crime and poverty and pollution etc, it was with understandable trepidation that I landed at the Mexico City airport. But a week here, and Mexico City is nothing that I feared it would be! The city is clean, green and beautiful; and there couldn’t be a friendlier city anywhere else in the world!

Few first impressions of Mexico...
1. There are Sanborns’ and VIPs everywhere ( for those in the dark, the first is a retail chain and the second a fast food chain)
2. The city is like one humungous khao-galli: There are restaurants, roadside taco joints, churro carts (slurrrp!) etc at every fork, bend, nook and cranny of the city.
3. Oops...I forgot the obvious... Everyone speaks Spanish, the billboards & road-signs are in Spanish, and the menu cards in restaurants are in Spanish-and I’ve mastered just about enough of the language to EAT and SHOP!
4. The city roads are studded with Volkswagon Beetles of every possible shade of VIBGYOR! Super-cute!
5. They SIP Tequila from a SHOT glass! ... Along with lemon juice and tomato juice (It denotes their national colours and the drink is called BANDERAS)
6. And of course, there cannot be a more courteous, gracious, polite race than the Mexicans! One week with almost zero knowledge of city or the language, and I’ve got along amazingly well with the local taco guy, the local croissant & donuts guy AND the churro guy (ahem..Oh-kay! Enough of food now!), the local laundry, taxi drivers and waiters at restaurants!

I love it here!!

5 comments:

Sam said...

you cutie! pratyooshan should be scared of all the mexican men hitting on you :)

im so jealous but i still love reading abt this!!

Jane D'Souza said...

u know... ur a gr8 writer... so riveting to read, i cant pull myself away till im done... having travelling and writing to you cuz it makes us feel we are right beside u

Aditi said...

simply loved ur post...for sumtym it made me feel lyk i was Mexico...

Gokul Varma said...

Ur writing took me to Mexico. yes, u showed a dofferent Mexico than we all know.
Great work, great writing,
Keep it up
Golman

Carmen Aguila vagabunda said...

Just discovered your blog and I must confess I got very homesick. I am from Mexico City, to me one of the great cities in the World. I have always said that people talk about all the bad things and very rarely the good things that Mexico has to offer. I have been living in India now for two years and will probably be going back in a year or so and it has been an interesting time. Thank you again for your comments and I am glad that you felt at home in my City. Carmen